Corsicana Daily Sun
Help a kid
To the Editor: A CASA volunteer is directly empowered by the courts to provide one-to-one advocacy for abused and neglected children.
A child with a CASA volunteer is:
• Half as likely to re-enter foster care;
• Substantially less likely to spend time in long-term foster care;
• More likely to do better in school;
• More likely to be adopted.
• More likely to have a positive attitude towards the future, an ability to work with others and to resolve conflicts
Since its founding by a family court judge in 1977, CASA for Children has helped assure a safe transition to a loving home for more than 2 million children in foster care. Here are a few more numbers:
• 946 community-based CASA programs;
• 77,000 CASA volunteers;
• 234,000 children served in 2010;
• 7.5 fewer months spent in foster care;
• $23 savings to the taxpayer for each $1 used to train and supervise a CASA volunteer. (Information provided by National CASA)
A new training class begins Sept. 10 through 14.
To volunteer please contact Shannon Dunn at (903)872-3772, or by email at email@example.com.