By Janet Jacobs
Corsicana Daily Sun
Corsicana — Mildred High School students took second place in the UIL Academic competition at Buffalo High School in late March. The students scored a total of 434 points at the meet, winning a variety of top slots in district. They came in second by only about 20 points.
They will have nine teams heading to regional competitions in May.
“MISD holds a strong priority for excellence in our UIL Academics at all campus levels,” said Superintendent Becky Burns. “Our students have earned and qualified for scholarships through their UIL academic involvement. I am so proud of the students and coaches.”
The team competition results are as follows:
The Mildred accounting team, made up of Ally Ayers, Ethan Jock, Ella Watts, Elizabeth Wright, took first place at UIL district competition.
The computer science team, consisting of Eli Powers, Nicholas Stone, Tiger Hill, and Chevy Hanna, also took first at district.
The Number Sense team, with members Trystan Cisney, Callie Cook, Tyler Malone, and Chevy Hanna, took first, as well.
The spelling and vocabulary team of Angel Carpenter, Collin Linex, Miranda Pearson, Samantha Petty, and Clay Waller, also won first at district.
Taking second place at district was the journalism team, with Bethany Brown, Collin Linex, Trystan Cisney, Haley Jenkins, Ally Ayers and Maddie Kirk.
The mathematics team, with members Xavier Fuqua, Tyler Malone, Chevy Hanna, and Nicholas Stone, also won second.
And the calculator applications team of Trent Cecil, Taylor Arnett, Donnie Morphew, and Alexandra White won second as well.
The science team, with Callie Cook, Chevy Hanna, Tiger Hill, Tyler Malone, Donnie Morphew, Sagen Williams, took second at the district meet. Chevy Hanna also was the top scorer in physics at the competition.
And the team of Cole Dulworth, Danny Smith, Eli Powers, Nicholas Stone, Katie Casaday, Molly Gaines, Madison Murrell and Brooke-lyn Lowery, won second in the speech competition.
Individual Mildred HS students placing in UIL events include the following students:
• Accounting - Ella Watts, second place; Elizabeth Wright, third, and Ally Ayers, fourth.
• Calculator Applications - Donnie Morphew, fourth, Taylor Arnett, fifth
• Current Issues and Events - Brooke-lyn Lower, sixth.
• Computer Applications - Chevy Hanna, first; Jase Butler, second; John Aldama, third.
• Computer Science - Nicholas Stone, first; Eli Powers, second; Tiger Hill, sixth; Chevy Hanna, sixth (tie).
• Feature Writing - Haley Jenkins, fourt; Ally Ayers, fifth.
• Headline Writing - Collin Linex, second; Haley Jenkins, sixth.
• Informative Speaking - Cole Dulworth, first.
• Lincoln Douglas Debate - Eli Powers, fourth .
• Literary Criticism - Kati Hafner, second.
• Mathematics - Nicholas Stone, third.
• Number Sense - Chevy Hanna, first; Tyler Malone, second.
• News Writing - Haley Jenkins, third; Bethany Brown, sixth.
• Persuasive Speaking - Danny Smith, fifth; Molly Gaines, sixth.
• Poetry Interpretation - Nicholas Stone, second; Molly Gaines, fourth; Danny Smith, sixth.
• Prose Interpretation - Cole Dulworth, second; Katie Casaday, sixth.
• Ready Writing - Elise Gray, fourth.
• Science - Chevy Hanna, sixth, Top Scorer in Physics
• Social Studies - Clayton White, sixth.
• Spelling & Vocabulary - Angel Carpenter, second; Collin Linex, third; Clay Waller, sixth.
Janet Jacobs may be reached via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Want to “sound off” to this article? E-mail: Soundoff@corsicanadailysun.com