By Janet Jacobs
Corsicana Daily Sun
The Corsicana City Council approved spending $182,640 for fencing at the new baseball and softball complex when the group met in regular session Tuesday. The new complex already has a gravel access road and city crews are working on grading the four baseball fields and two softball fields.
The fencing will provide backstop protection around each of the fields, which will be clustered together like the leaves of a shamrock. The softball fields will be farther away from the small concession stand which will be at the center of the four baseball fields.
D&M Fence Co., won the bid for the project.
In other business, the council took the following actions:
• Voted unanimously to rezone 321 Cotton Belt Drive to general retail, which will allow the owner to put up a billboard on the property. The billboard can be done with administrative approval now.
• Granted a provisional Specific Use Permit for 4501 W. State Highway 31 for a microwave tower and training facility. The tower will be used to train students in how to deal with the equipment. It’s provisional in two senses: If the construction doesn’t begin in the next six months (180 days), then the SUP goes away. Also, if the facility is ever not in use for the intended purpose for six months in a row, then the SUP can be taken back.
• Declared a number of items surplus, allowing for their sale or disposal. Items up for sale include some old fire hoses, some old vehicles and mowers, as well as seven well-used recliners from the fire department.
• During the public forum portion of the meeting, Babbette Samuels read a letter from the Texas Jewish Historical Society on the group’s recent visit to Corsicana. The society also donated $500 to the city to help with the restoration of the Temple Beth-El in Corsicana. The group visited the Jewish cemetery, the local museums, and had both dinner and services at the Temple while they were in town.
• During the mayor’s comments, Mayor Chuck McClanahan urged people to attend the Fourth of July festivities at I.O.O.F. Park on Thursday, the next Second Saturday event downtown, and the groundbreaking ceremony for the new water park on July 12. A city budget work shop is scheduled for July 22.
Janet Jacobs may be reached via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Want to “sound off” to this article? E-mail: Soundoff@corsicanadailysun.com