Corsicana Daily Sun, Corsicana, Texas

April 1, 2013

UPDATE: Few details emerge on murder of Kaufman DA, wife

By Loyd Cook
Kaufman Herald

Sharing former Daily Sun staffer Loyd Cook's update from the Kaufman Herald website on Saturday's tragic murder of the Kaufman county district attorney and his wife at their home in Forney.

KAUFMAN — Law enforcement officials are keeping a tight lid on letting out information connected with the shooting deaths of Kaufman District Attorney Mike McLelland and his wife Cynthia.

Sheriff David Byrnes said deputies responded to the McLelland home after a call reporting the deaths.

"They did find District Attorney McLelland and his wife deceased ... they had both been shot," Byrnes said at a 1 p.m. press conference today (Sunday). "We're in the process of completing the crime scene workup right now."

The couple were found by a friend just after 6 p.m. Saturday.

Byrnes said the search for the killers of the McLellands is a joint investigation between the sheriff's office, Texas Rangers and FBI.

He said Forney, Kaufman, and Terrell police departments and the U.S. Department of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF), along with U.S. Marshals, will be part of the investigation.

"It will be the whole spectrum (of local, state and federal agencies)," Byrnes said.

Reporters asked about information they had gathered from sources — whether or not security from remaining member of the D.A.'s office had been provided overnight, wasn't a deputy assigned to act as a bodyguard for the McLellan family, and other security issues.

"We will not go into security issues at this time," Byrnes said.

The sheriff was willing to address security for the courthouse when it opens for business on Monday.

"There will be increased security at the courthouse (Monday)," Byrnes said. "Visible security."

The sheriff said he had no indication of a connection between the shootings of the McLellands and Mark Hasse, the assistant district attorney that was shot and killed Jan. 31 as he walked from his vehicle to the courthouse to begin his work day in the district attorney's office.

There has been no arrest in that case.

The sheriff said he understands what the effect of this incident may have on the general public.

"It's unnerving to the law enforcement community, it's unnerving to the community at large," Byrnes said. "That's why we're striving to assure the community that we are still providing public safety ... that we're meeting all our obligations plus the investigative responsibility."