Corsicana Police Department
Police Beat update: The three people who were injured in a knife fight Saturday in the parking lot of the Waffle House have been treated for their injuries and are home now, according to police. Four people were injured in all, one fled with minor injuries. Two were taken to Parkland Hospital in Dallas by flying ambulance, and one was taken to Navarro Regional.
• A man was taken to Navarro Regional following a fist-fight around 10 p.m. Tuesday at Napoli’s, 111 E. Collin St.
• Police were called out around 4 p.m. Wednesday to the 1400 block of East Collin Street. The complainant said he was struck in the head with a blunt object, but there were no signs of injuries. It’s still under investigation.
• Thieves stole more than $1,500 in merchandise from a truck sometime between Friday and Wednesday while it was parked in the the 1200 block of North Business 45.
• A broken car was taken without permission sometime over the long weekend from the 800 block of North 13th Street.
• A car was burglarized sometime between 3 and 5 p.m. Monday while it was parked in the 1500 block of West Collin Street.
• A domestic fight escalated beyond words at around 7:30 p.m. Saturday in the 200 block of Frey Street.
Navarro County Sheriff’s Office
• A 12-guage shotgun was stolen Wednesday from NWCR 2160 near Barry.
• All the major appliances, including a wood-burning stove, were stolen from a home Dec. 20 from a home on NECR 1041 near Rice. Taken in the theft were assorted tools and welding rods, a red dolly and a wagon, 50 steel pipes, assorted steel rebar, and fencing, pieces of tin and two tillers, a plow, a rake and a blade, as well as a 1970s Sears tractor, the refrigerator, gas heater, dryer and the stove. Value of the items was estimated at more than $7,000.
• Two traffic stops resulted in arrests on Tuesday. One man was arrested at 1:24 a.m. for not having a drivers license or insurance on U.S. Highway 287 near Mildred. The second one was at 3:40 p.m. on NWCR 1060 near Corsicana.
• Two cars were damaged and two mailboxes destroyed Tuesday morning in Dawson in what seems to be a rash of criminal mischief incidents.
• Thieves stole a variety of items Tuesday from a car parked on Roane Road near Corsicana. Among the items was a CB radio, a toolbox, miscellanious clothes, a cheater pipe and racket boom.
• A .22 caliber Ruger rifle with scope was stolen from an outbuilding Monday on NWCR 0130 near Rice.
• A black 7-month old calf was shot Monday while in a pasture on NWCR 0140 near Rice.
Compiled by Daily Sun City Editor Janet Jacobs from reports released by the Corsicana Police Department and the Navarro County Sheriff’s Department.
Corsicana Police Department
- Latest News
Exercise helps women tolerate breast cancer drugs
SAN ANTONIO — Exercise might help women beat breast cancer. Researchers found it can ease the achy joints and muscle pain that lead many patients to quit taking medicines that treat the disease and lower the risk of a recurrence.
How states fared on U.S. unemployment benefit claims
WASHINGTON — The number of people applying for U.S. unemployment benefits rose 68,000 to a seasonally adjusted 368,000 last week.
Sentence in Texas teen's fatal DWI wreck stirs ire
FORT WORTH — A North Texas teen from an affluent family was sentenced to probation this week after he killed four pedestrians when he lost control of his speeding pickup truck while driving drunk, a punishment that outraged the victims' families and left prosecutors disappointed.
Pennies for Presents
A powerful, visual lesson in giving took place at Carroll Elementary Wednesday morning, when the 750 children on that campus raised over $1,400 in pennies for “children in need,” and were able to see the fruits of their labors when the curtains opened for the big “reveal.”
Share the Warmth: Corsicana Cleaners Coat Drive is on
They’ve been doing it for years, just as regular as cold weather and fruitcake season in Corsicana.
Corsicana Cleaners and Laundry has again launched its annual winter coat drive, a way to provide warm winter clothing for those in need.
Texas Rangers called to investigate death
Texas Rangers have been called to take over an investigation into the death of a man following an incident Wednesday involving an off-duty Malakoff police officer.
Texans making use of healthcare website
AUSTIN — About 14,000 Texans enrolled for health insurance in October and November on the embattled federal online exchange, nearly five times more than successfully navigated the site during its rocky opening month, but still a tiny tally for such a large state, according to figures released Wednesday.
Local Beat 12/12/13
A listing of meetings and events of interest from throughout Navarro County.
House Republicans signal support for budget deal
WASHINGTON — House Republicans signaled support Wednesday for a budget deal worked out a day earlier, a plan narrowly drawn but promoted as a way to stabilize Congress' erratic fiscal efforts, avert another government shutdown and mute some of the partisan rancor that has damaged Americans' attitudes about their lawmakers.
Man dies after incident involving off-duty Malakoff officer
Texas Rangers have been called to take over an investigation into the death of a man following an incident involving an off-duty Malakoff police officer.
- More Latest News Headlines
- Exercise helps women tolerate breast cancer drugs