By Janet Jacobs
Corsicana Daily Sun
The Corsicana City Council approved hiring Traylor and Associates to manage the HOME grant in the next round of house-building.
The Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs has built 20 new houses for Corsicana residents worth a total of $1.5 million since 2006. Depending on who applies, the next round could build another 11 houses, according to Ken Hamner, project manager with Traylor.
Eight houses were recently completed with HOME grant money, and a ribbon cutting for all of them is scheduled for Monday. Three more are currently under construction.
“When you get to interact with the families it touches your heart,” said City Engineer Elizabeth Borstad.
Under the HOME grant program residents who have substandard houses and who live on a fixed income can apply to have their old houses torn down and new ones built for them. The new houses are energy efficient and come with basic appliances and are turn-key operations, meaning they’re built to be moved into immediately.
Mayor Chuck McClanahan praised the program as “wonderful.”
In other business, the council took the following actions:
• Accepted the bid by Capps-Capco of Tyler to repair a 30-inch sewer line for $78,580.
• Approved the 2014 budget for the Navarro Central Appraisal District. The budget has gone up about 2.15 percent, and is now about $1.9 million.
• Voted to nominate Terry Jacobson to fill the empty seat on the appraisal board. It would only be for the rest of this year.
• Authorized EBG Engineering to design a deceleration lane off Texas Highway 31 for the new Pactiv project. EBG is a woman-owned firm.
• Agreed to contribute to the Firefighters Retirement fund for a city fireman who has been fighting in Afghanistan. Under city policy, the employee has to pay his portion of the money he would have contributed while he was out. The council did not vote to make this policy, but will take each case on an individual basis, said City Manager Connie Standridge.
Janet Jacobs may be reached via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Want to “sound off” to this article? E-mail: Soundoff@corsicanadailysun.com