By Janet Jacobs
Corsicana Daily Sun
The Corsicana City Council rejected a request to overturn a planning and zoning commission decision not to allow a second substance abuse program to move into the Navarro Centre when the group met in regular session Tuesday night.
The program’s director, Israela Montgomery, brought a number of supporters to the meeting, including two pastors. However, the council took into account the protests by neighbors of the former Navarro Mall, who were concerned about the program’s clients in the neighborhood.
In order to overcome the planning and zoning commission’s decision, the council would have to have a super-majority in favor, but the vote was two to three to reject it. Ruby Williams and John McClung voted in favor of it.
In other business, the council took the following moves:
• Approved a number of ordinance changes, including allowing for indoor shooting ranges.
• Granted the contract to reconstruct Collins Avenue to XIT Paving and Construction for just over $2 million.
• Approved a request by Ideal Storage to open a Social Club called the Pegasus Ballroom on the east end of the building.
• Closed a utility alley between South Bunert and South Benton streets to let a church expand.
• Awarded a contract to build three new equipment buildings in the city’s service center to Watkins Development for $1.33,887.
• Agreed to buy 317 N. Beaton for $15,000. The hollowed-out building will be turned into another pocket park.
• Designated the city manager and mayor as signatories on the latest state grant program contract.
• Adopted a local opportunity plan to allow local businesses to participate in the Pactiv project, and adopted a grievance procedure in case there are any claims of discrimination.
• The mayor approved a number of people to city advisories boards.
• During his announcements portion of the meeting, the mayor urged people to attend the Second Saturday event in downtown, and promoted the other events Saturday, including the Airsho, the bike race, and election day.
Janet Jacobs may be reached via e-mail at email@example.com. Want to “sound off” to this article? E-mail: Soundoff@corsicanadailysun.com