By Bob Belcher
Corsicana Daily Sun
An early morning fire in the 700 block of Park Avenue Saturday destroyed a two-story home, while firefighters battled strong winds trying to keep the blaze from spreading.
Corsicana Fire Chief Donald McMullan said residents of the home heard noises coming from a kitchen area and noticed the lights in the home were flickering.
“They went to the back of the home and found the kitchen area and washer and dryer area on fire, and then the lights went out,” McMullan said.
The four residents in the home, including an elderly man, were able to escape the home safely, but they weren’t able to save anything but themselves, McMullan said.
The fire spread quickly, soon engulfing the roof and much of the second floor, McMullan said.
Gusty winds overnight challenged firefighters as they worked to protect surrounding structures. One nearby home did suffer some radiant heat damage to the exterior, he said. A power pole also damaged by the fire caused a power outage in the area. Service was restored by 7 a.m.
Public works crews were called to the fire scene Saturday morning, using heavy equipment to knock down what was left of the wood-frame home and the home’s fireplace as a safety precaution, McMullan said.
No one was hurt in the blaze, which remains under investigation.
Bob Belcher may be reached by email at email@example.com. Want to “Soundoff” on this story? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org