Corsicana Police Department
• A drunken driver was arrested and taken to jail Tuesday night after hitting a parked car in the 1700 block of West Collin Street.
• A burglar broke into an apartment and stole a variety of items, including some credit and debit cards Monday or Tuesday in the 3000 block of West Collin.
• A woman reported that $75 was stolen from her purse Monday while she was at the Denny’s, 2951 S. Highway 287.
• A man reported that someone stole the exhaust system out of his car Monday while it was parked in a hotel parking lot in the 600 block of Bryants Way.
Navarro County Sheriff’s Office
• Some jewelry was stolen Saturday in a home burglary on South Hopkins in Emhouse.
• More than $6,000 in outdoor gear was stolen in a burglary Saturday from Southeast County Road 3048C near Corsicana. Among the missing items were a Mercury boat motor, two depth finders, life jackets, fishing rods and reels, lures and a tackle box, and a boat prop.
• Some car batteries, four oversized tires and rims, and a boat motor were taken Friday from a building on SE CR 3330 near Kerens.
• A Walther firearm was reported missing or stolen Friday from SE CR 3060 near Kerens.
• Thieves broke out a door window Monday to gain access to a home and steal a 42-inch TV, a satellite box, DVD player, and an Apple iPad from a home on SE 3050 in Mildred.
• Burglars took a 32-inch television, an XBox console and two controllers as well as a slew of games, a Compaq laptop computer, some old sheet music, various family memorabilia, six fishing poles, a brown and pink purse, costume jewelry, some women’s clothing, a silver digital camera, a toolbox, a surround sound system, and a surveillance camera from a home Friday on NW CR 3040 near Navarro Mills.
• A Smith and Wesson handgun was taken Monday from a home on NW 2020 near Corsicana. It was valued at $200.
Corsicana Police Department
‘Annie Get Your Gun’ through Sunday at the Palace
It’s the big musical, the one that makes me think of ‘cast of thousands,’ or in our case, dozens at least, and it’s here only for a few short days. ‘Annie Get Your Gun,’ is Irving Berlin’s candy box treasure of a play about Annie Oakley, the sharpshooter in love with a showman.
It’s presented by the Warehouse Living Arts Center but because of its size is on stage at the Palace Theatre. Shows will be at 7:30 p.m. tonight, Friday and Saturday, with a 2 p.m. Sunday matinee.
Short named Farmer of the Year
Agriculture businesses like farming and ranching are the backbone of Navarro County. Many farming families go back several generations.
Since at least 1965, the Corsicana Rotary Club (Wednesday club) has recognized and said “thank you” to the unsung heroes of the soil.
New clinic open
A new medical practice in partnership with Navarro Regional Hospital is now offering comprehensive occupational medicine services.
Purdon man sentenced to 21 years in federal prison for gun violations
Erik Willis, 31 of Purdon, was sentenced this afternoon by U.S. District Judge Jorge A. Solis to serve a total of 258 months in federal prison following his conviction at trial in July 2013 on three felony firearms offenses, announced U.S. Attorney Sarah R. Saldaña of the Northern District of Texas.
Heat Advisory issued for North Texas
• Avoid the Heat. Stay out of the heat and indoors as much as possible. Spend time in an air conditioned space. Only two hours a day in an air-conditioned space can significantly reduce the risk of heat-related illness.
Corsicana’s Red Cross provides valuable assistance
Two weeks ago, when firefighters, oil field emergency crews and county crisis teams responded to a potential gas drilling disaster near Mildred there were also volunteers on the scene, serving cold water and Gatorade.
American Red Cross volunteers respond to a variety of situations, including fires, evacuations, tornadoes, and even bad car wrecks.
Texas Legislature debates road funding
The Texas Legislature has convened to debate new funding for roads and bridges by diverting money from the state's Rainy Day Fund.
Tax rolls reflect closures
The industrial closures that were announced over a year ago have finally come home to roost in the form of lower tax appraisals in Corsicana and Navarro County.
Sheriff attends conference
Navarro County Sheriff Elmer Tanner recently attended the Sheriff’s Association of Texas 135th Annual Training Conference at the American Bank Center in Corpus Christi, July 20-23. Over 1,500 peace officers were in attendance.
Downed line blocks traffic
Traffic on East State Highway 31 was halted Thursday when an 18-wheeler hit a sagging telephone line, brining down the line and compromising two utility poles.
- More News Headlines
- ‘Annie Get Your Gun’ through Sunday at the Palace