Corsicana Daily Sun, Corsicana, Texas

June 8, 2013

Its a ‘baby thing’

By Deanna Kirk
Corsicana Daily Sun

— I guess every birth is as unique as the child it produces.

After having inductions at 38 weeks (with NO epidural) myself, I was unprepared for the “going into labor on your own” avenue of childbearing. (For anyone not familiar, I’m discussing grandchildren here.)

When my first grandson was born, that daughter started feeling contractions in the night, on into the morning, and since it was a Saturday, let me sleep maybe as late as 9 or 10 before calling to tell me it would be that day. They asked if she wanted an epidural, and she declined! Tough little boot. It wasn’t an extremely long labor once we were at the hospital, as I recall, and her doctor was the one on call.

When it came time for the granddaughter’s birth, my elder daughter called and woke me in the middle of the night to ascertain whether or not her water had broken (it had), and whether that meant she should go to the hospital. (Honestly, what would they do without their mother?) I told her yes, and after a time of of coffee, shower and primping, I would meet her there.

She had a lovely epidural, and I believe it was sometime around noon when our beautiful princess made her debut. Fortunately, the same doctor was on call that day, too.

Now, this last grandson ... he kept us on our toes. Or at least his Deedee stayed “on guard” for quite some time, it seemed. He first started yanking my chain the day of Relay for Life. She told me about 1 p.m. that day (a Friday) that her contractions had begun. I just knew all through the events that night we’d be headed to the hospital. Heck, I stayed up until 4 a.m. when I finally just crashed, because I’d had no call.

Now, that was May 17. Contractions off and on for days, then weeks. Another false alarm trip to the hospital in the middle of the night on Memorial Day weekend (the kids had made one already the weekend of Relay. They were sent home). Finally, the good doctor told her he’d induce her on May 30, which just happens to be Mr. Kirk’s birthday. Cool, huh? He’d said all along this boy was going to arrive on his birthday.

We arrived at the hospital about 5:30 a.m., just 10 minutes or so after they started her IV with the pitocin drip. We chit-chatted, laughed, and probably around 6 a.m. or shortly thereafter, she started looking kind of funny in her face during contractions, as if they were getting uncomfortable. I stepped out in the hall and asked the nurse if she could have anything for pain. She replied that she’d come check her, and see what orders had been left.

She came in and gave her some pain stuff in her IV, and then stated she was at 6 cm. They discussed the small window for receiving an epidural, and agreed it would need to be soon. Then she left the room.

I kid you not, it wasn’t 20 or 30 minutes later and my child was screaming, and telling me she needed to push. Once again, I ran out to the nurse and said, “She wants to push!” (and of course she could hear the screams) so she ran in and checked her again, and said, “We’d better call the doctor — this baby is coming right now!”

At 6:52 a.m., our Jaxon was in the delivery room, the doctor made it in time, and I got to witness my third grandchild being born. Mother and baby are fine. We are blessed.

And I hope these kids slow down for a while!


Deanna Kirk is a Daily Sun staff writer, and editor of Explore magazine. Her column appears on Saturdays. She may be reached via email at Want to “Soundoff” on this column? Email: